If you wear extended wear contact lenses, finding the best brand is super important because you’ll potentially be wearing them day in and day out for many days. There are several factors used to figure out which extended wear lenses are the best for you.
What Are Extended Wear Contacts?
Extended wear lenses–sometimes called continuous wear lenses–can be worn for multiple days without removing them. Some extended wear lenses can only be worn for 7 days, while others can be worn for up to 30 days of continuous use! Most people think there are no contacts you can sleep in, but that’s not true.
Extended wear contact lenses are popular with people who like the ease of not having to insert and remove their contact lenses on a daily basis. Less washing. More convenience.
You’ll want to make sure your eye doctor evaluates you for extended wear to make sure that you are a good candidate for them. Remember that no contact lens will be the perfect match for everyone, so you’ll always want to stop wearing contacts and let your eye care provider know if you experience any discomfort or visual problems. This is because sleeping in contacts for too long without replacement, or sleeping in contacts not approved for sleep can cause corneal ulcers among other ailments.
The Best Extended Wear Contact Lenses in 2022
1. Air Optix Night and Day Aqua
- These lenses have the highest oxygen transmission of the soft contact lenses on the market and are therefore the most popular overnight contact lenses.
- Compare prices for Air Optix Night and Day Aqua
- These lenses are approved for 6 nights of continuous wear, so they can only be guaranteed to be safe during this period of time.
- Compare prices for Biofinity
3. Air Optix Aqua
- Like the Biofinity lenses, these lenses are approved for 6 days of continuous wear, so they can only be guaranteed to be safe during this period of time.
- Compare prices for Air Optix Aqua
4. Acuvue Oasys
- Like the Biofinity and Air Optix Aqua lenses, these lenses are approved for 7 days of continuous wear.
- Compare prices for Acuvue Oasys and Acuvue Oasys for Astigmatism
5. Bausch and Lomb Ultra
- Ultra lenses are FDA approved for 6 nights and 7 days of extended wear. Features MoistureSeal technology to help prevent lens dryness and retain moisture for a full 16 hours.
- Compare prices of B&L Ultra
- These lenses are a lot older and less breathable than the Air Optix Night and Day lenses, but they are the only other lens approved for 30 days of continuous wear.
- Compare prices for PureVision2
Related: See the best daily contact lenses
Related: See the best contact lenses for dry eyes
Camilo is the founder of Contacts Compare and is a contact lens enthusiast who has been buying, shopping, and comparing contact lenses for over 12 years. He started Contacts Compare because it was nearly impossible to compare prices quickly to make sure he was getting the best price possible. He holds degrees from Harvard University and the University of Pennsylvania. His favorite contact lens is Acuvue Oasys 1-Day with Hydraluxe.